1299: Foundation of Niederwutzen (Osinow Dolny)
1753: Construction of the first bridge
1936 to 1938: construction of the Niederwutzen pulp and paper mill
The Polish market Hohenwutzen is located on the premises and in the buildings of the former pulp and paper factory Niederwutzen, which was built in the period 1936 to 1938 by the concern Waldhof. More than 400 people are said to have been employed here at that time in the production of pulp and paper. At that time, there was also a railroad line here, which, however, was destroyed during the war, as was the Oder Bridge.
1945: Second World War
During a battle in early 1945 between an SS paratrooper unit and the Soviet army, the site was almost completely destroyed, while the factory with its buildings was essentially preserved remained.
Except for the huge chimney of the combined heat and power plant (today stage to the Oder or car wash), which was blown up in 1945, most of the buildings have been preserved. Due to the massive construction of the buildings, they were able to withstand the heavy battle for Niederwutzen, even though the traces of the bomb impacts and shell splinters can still be clearly seen today.
After the end of the war, practically all the equipment and machinery from the pulp and paper mill were dismantled and shipped to the Soviet Union.
1952: New construction of the bridge
After the Oder Bridge was blown up during the withdrawal of the Wehrmacht in 1945, it was rebuilt in 1952. The architecturally outstanding arches were dispensed with.
Railroad tracks were not built on the new Oder Bridge; the original Freienwalde-Zehden rail line ended at the eastern end at Hohenwutzen Station at this time, before the rail line was officially closed entirely in 1967.
From 1992: New life arrives
After the site had sunk into a slumber, new life emerged from 1992. Initially with the production of pasture articles, signs and small boats, soon after with the first market stalls and a gas station. Steadily, one of the largest markets on the German-Polish border developed on the former factory site.
04.11.2012: Major fire
05.07.2014: German-Polish Integration Day
Since 2018, extensive renovation and expansion measures have been taking place on the 50-hectare site. The former factory halls are being successively expanded, a children's playground has been built, a new parking lot for over 300 cars including an e-charging station and a camping site, which is also being continuously expanded and extended.
Due to the still partly considerable price, wage and tax advantages compared to Germany, Poland has considerable location advantages, which is why the positive development of the Polish market Hohenwutzen will continue in the future.
We look forward to a future together with you.